Sunday, September 18, 2016

Response to CAM Raleigh: Ornament and Pattern

     One interesting thing that I pulled from this reading is that our human desire to see ornament is backed up by science and we are pretty much "hard wired" to see it. I love the fact that humans have always wanted to give more meaning to our lives, therefore we developed ways to "embellish" or "add layers of ornament" to our lives. An ornamentation has the power to tell compelling stories and make us better at apprehending/appreciating the things we often take fore granted. With all of its positive attributes, I was surprised to find out that ornament has been greeted with "skepticism and scorn". It gives me hope knowing that ornament possesses the ability to adapt and change with different contexts and aesthetics over time.
     It was interesting to read about the plethora of themes that ornament could have and be able to draw my own conclusion after knowing the ornamentation's context. This reading has reinvigorated my creative process and inspired me to continue to have a sense of purpose in my own artworks. Whether it is to tell a story or bring attention to a particular issue, I now think that an art piece is always more powerful when there's a sense purpose behind it. My artwork, like ornament, is meant to be read. Proper execution of an ornament can "offer a good read" and I strive to give my art work these qualities and leave room for viewers to wonder.

1 comment:

  1. "Whether it is to tell a story or bring attention to a particular issue, I now think that an art piece is always more powerful when there's a sense purpose behind it."

    Yes! Intention is primary in making art. Good take-away.

    ReplyDelete