Thursday, September 1, 2016

Small Works: Female Energy





Thought process:

This candle is what I initially based my three small works on. Although it isn't considered a handmade piece of folk art, I do see artistic aspects in the illustration on the candle and it did trigger my aesthetic emotion. The image of Mary, to me, represents a strong female presence and the roses surrounding her gave me the idea to utilize real roses in my three pieces. I chose to depict caryatids and the female greek bust because
to me they're literally iconic female figures in human history.


1 comment:

  1. Very good process information, Nguyen. I love the rose petal substrate in process. Did you see the Doris Salcedo exhibition at PAMM last summer? Look up her pieces made with roses and rose petals.

    ReplyDelete