Sunday, September 11, 2016

In-Depth Project

I continued to experiment with different surfaces and continue to explore my original concept about gender roles in my country and the perseverance of the Vietnamese woman for the in-depth project and these pieces are the result.























When making my final piece, combined what I've learned from previous pieces. I decided to depict/paint my grandmother (a woman that has never had anything luxurious in her life and persevered even through war times) on a surface of fabrics (silk, fur) that are usually associated opulence. I also chose to utilize gold paint to detail her figure in hopes of paying tribute and give her something precious.

4 comments:

  1. Very strong. Your comments about your grandmother help me understand the layers of meaning in that piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this suite of work read very well in critique. There was a unified sense of understanding about what was going on in the work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was Reading through the description of your work and I instantly thought about Pepon Osorio a Puerto Rican artist that I got exposed to during my WARP Class. You mentioned being interested in studying how gender roles function in the Vietnamese culture specifically women and you used your grandmother as a symbol of perseverance. I guess the reference to your own home, the social engagement with the Vietnamese culture and your chose of materials are all element in witch you can fin a relation to Pepon's work. He uses the Puerto Rican home to collect elements to then recreate scenarios and compose objects. Take a look, I would like to know if you feel related to any of his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also been exposed to Pepon Osorio's work before in my art history class and I can definitely relate to his work. I enjoy how he recreates really intimate scenes from his background like in his piece/installation "No Crying Allowed in the Barbershop".

      Delete